Freading - eReaders and other Devices (including Kindle Fire and Nook tablets)
What devices work with Freading?
While not a complete list, here are some of the most popular devices that work with the service:
- For direct downloading from the Freading site you can use a PC or Mac. With the Freading app, you can use the iPhone or iPad, most Android tablets and phones. Tablets that have been tested include Samsung Galaxy, Sony, Toshiba, Acer, Asus and Xoom.
- For transfer of an eBook via a computer and Adobe Digital Editions, you can use the Nook devices, the Sony reader and the Kobo reader. Many more devices that have not been specifically tested are likely compatible.
- Kindle Fire & Nook Tablet users:
- Freading eBooks can be used on the Kindle Fire or Fire HD (but not other Kindles) using a special procedure to get an App outside the Kindle App store or by using an alternative reading app (OverDrive). See instructions below.
- If the book is in epub format in Freading, then the OverDrive app can be used to open it. The instructions below for the Kindle Fire will work the same way on the Nook. It is important to remember that pdf format books must be transfered to the Nook with Adobe Digital Editions. For this reason, you may only want to use the Adobe transfer for all the Freading books with a Nook Tablet.
- Overdrive Media Console app compatibility: http://www.overdrive.com/drc/ebook-audiobook/
Kindle Fire - Using the Freading app. (see also the OverDrive app instructions below for a quicker method)
The Freading app must be downloaded from a website that gives access to apps outside the Amazon app store for Kindle.
Once installed, the Freading app must be authorized with an Adobe ID. To get books, tap on the Get Books icon to open the Freading website. You will need to login again (first give your zip code, and then your library card number) to get books this way. An easier method is to use the web browser on your device to go to the Freading website at http://gowyld.freading.com and then when selecting books to download, choose the Freading app or other reader of your choice. As long as the web browser remains open, you will stay logged in. If you are checking out multiple books, this saves several steps.
Kindle Fire and Nook Tablets - Using the OverDrive app.
Some users have had difficulty in installing the Freading app for Android using the instructions linked above, especially on Kindle Fire devices. An alternative is to install the OverDrive Media Console app, which is available in the Apps for Android store in Amazon. *note that the OverDrive app only works with epub format files, not pdf.
Step One - Install the OverDrive Media Console app
- Open the Amazon app store on the Kindle Fire (or search the Barnes & Noble app store on a Nook Tablet)
- Search for Overdrive and select the app called Overdrive Media Console (It is a blue square with a white 'O' on it)
- Go through the steps to purchase (it's free) and install the app.
- It should automatically start to install on your device, but if it doesn't, look for a notification that indicates you have downloaded an app and should prompt you to run the installer
Step Two - Authorize the OverDrive app with your AdobeID.
- Open the OverDrive app
- Tap on the menu icon (looks like a small square with three lines in it)
- Select 'app settings'
- Enter your Adobe ID and password to authorize the app.
Step Three - Getting books from Freading
- Open the web browser on the Kindle Fire
- Go to http://gowyld.freading.com
- Login with your WYLD library card and PIN
- Select a book to download
- When you tap 'download epub' a popup should appear asking what app to use to open the file - choose the OverDrive app.
- The OverDrive app will open and you can start reading your book.
- You can also use the OverDrive app to delete the books from the Fire when you are done.
Advantages to using the OverDrive app with Freading include:
- The ability to bookmark
- Faster checkout, since you go directly to the GoWYLD Freading site with the browser
- The OverDrive app works better in tandem with the 3M Cloud Android app
When using both 3M and Freading, some users have experienced their Freading books disappearing from the device when the 3M app is opened. This does not appear to happen when using the OverDrive app instead.
- If your library has a subscription to the OverDrive service, you will only need the one app for both Freading and OverDrive books. You will still need to use the 3M app to manage your 3M Cloud ebooks.
Need More Help?