eBooks with Freading - Mobile Apps
How do the Freading Apps work?
iOS (Apple): The app is used to store and read the book. You must use the Safari browser to find and download a Freading eBook.
- Use the browser to access the library's Freading site. Login as necessary.
- Download a book. You may be asked to authorize your device, which means you must login using your Adobe credentials when prompted. *see examples below for how to authorize your device.
- You will be asked where you want to download the file. Select the Freading app.
- After downloading, you will be able to read and navigate the book in the Freading app.
Android: You can use the App to download and read a book. (requires Android version 2.2. or newer)
Note - if you have problems installing the Freading app, you can use another app for reading the books. Read these instructions on how to use the OverDrive app to read Freading books (epub format).
- Open the Freading app.
- Press the grid icon in the lower left hand corner to open the menu icons.
- Press the store shopping cart icon to browse your library's Freading site.
- If prompted for a ZIP code, enter 82001.
- Find the form on the displayed page to enter your library card and PIN (you may need to scroll to the left or right)
- Click on the link to download the book.
- The Freading app will revert to the library view and your book will show as pending while it downloads.
- When the title is fully downloaded, tap on it to open and read
- see special instructions for installing the Android App on a Kindle Fire on the devices help page
Use the links above to find the Freading app in the Android Market or the App Store. If you access the Freading website with a mobile device, a link to the appropriate app for your device will also display.
After installing the app on your device, you will need to activate your Adobe ID for use with the app. more about Adobe Digital Editions
Using the Freading app
When the apps for Apple and Android are first installed, you will need to authorize them to use your Adobe ID. Tap on the 'I' link in the lower right corner of the app and enter your Adobe ID and password. You should only have to enter this information once.
With the Apple (iOS) app, you will need to checkout books using the Freading website with the Safari (web) browser. You can then use the app to read the book. The Android app can be used to check out books as well.
A user guide for the app is included by default in the library view.
Tap on the book title to open it. Turn pages by tapping or swiping the screen to the left or right.
To return to the library view, tap near the bottom of the screen to open the menu options.
You can return to the home screen of the app by tapping on the 'home' button in the upper left.
To view the table of contents and navigate through chapters of the book, click on the icon that looks like several stacked lines.
To change the font, tap on the letter icon and select either a smaller or larger font.